Delivery Person App
The mobile apps available to grocery store delivery persons are slow and confusing. I'm going to make the app I wish I had back then using Adobe XD for iOS 11.
This project is ongoing.
I was a coffee bean delivery driver who'd deliver to grocery stores. DSD delivery drivers place their own orders while at the stores. Our company tried several apps, but ultimately they were dropped for being impossibly cumbersome. In the end it was easier for us to take orders on paper, then at the end of the day enter them all into the computer.
The main problem with existing apps lie in the way they organize the items inside a hierarchical folder system. As a result the items you want are always at the bottom. Im my experience what I wanted was always eight taps away. Using a folder system makes sense to a computer or to a desktop user, but it doesn't fit the mental model of a delivery person. It's like they buried the most important items inside Russian Matryoshka dolls.
Placing an Order on existing apps
For me, a typical order was 20 items long. 20 items x 8 clicks = 160 clicks. At an average rate of one click a second it would take 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Taking the order by paper only took 20 seconds.
Taking An Order
The goal was to fit as many items on one screen as possible without being confusing. I had to use 4 letter code words which employees would understand. I also am taking advantage of iOS 11's new navigation system to increase real estate. This system reduces the amount of clicks from 8 to 3 (62% savings).
- New spreadsheet design
- Increased findability - labels stay put
- Faster onboarding - no more code words
- Fewer errors - easier to review
- Moved barcode scanner link to nav bar to increase space.
- Named the app Anto - It sounds like ant (Ants are cool.) and it's Latin for passion (This is my passion project).
Features requested from user testing
- Add a "plus sign" icon to the top nav so that users can add ancillary items.
- Add option to review a store's order history from the order screen after store name has been selected.